Sunday, July 17, 2011

Catching up....

     So it has been a year since I created this blog as one of my summer bucket list things to do....and here it is the following summer and I am finally posting something :)
So much for keeping up with it. I guess I have a lot to catch up on...so here goes!
       Last year my Godson Cam moved in with us for the school year. It was a long year, but we are blessed that we were able to share a little of Gods word with him and teach him about family, love, and discipline. He didn't like the discipline part too much:) He has since moved out; back with his grandmother and we will continue to pray and be in his life as much as possible. God knows what he is doing. All in his time.
      Since school has ended a few things have changed...we no longer have a teenager in the house and we have begun to focus more time and energy on the boys and each other.  We have shifted from being stressed out, tired, and busy to really living intentionally for each other, our kids and God (not in that order) :0  We started a summer study at our old church, (soon to be our home church again...Yay!) Called Spiritual Parenting. It has been great. I am learning so much about myself and my kids and our family as a whole. Of course we want our kids to behave and know right from wrong but ultimately we want a transformed heart... a heart on fire for Jesus; and that is what I want as a parent to my children and as a wife to my husband. My main objective over the summer is to find out what our goals are as a family, to be on the same page so we can move forward in whatever God has for us. We want to be rid of all distractions so that we can live the life he has called us to live. Having Cam in the house was definately humbling to my parenting skills. We had our good days and bad...but alot of it was me trying not to lose my temper at the selfishness, lack of compassion, and the I don't care about anything attitude. It saddened my heart and opened my eyes to how each moment is precious and every teachable moment that passes you by because you are too busy can lead to a calloused heart. It has awakened me from my everyday routine walk with God to wanting more. Gone are the days of praying "the thank you for my stuffed animals and macaroni and cheese prayers" I now have an almost 7 year old and the hard questions are brewing in his little head waiting to hear what his mom or dad has to say about it. Will I be ready? Will you? I pray for all the parents out there that we would allow ourselves the time to hear God's words throughout our busy days so that we can find those teachable moments that will last a lifetime in our children's hearts.  Wow, this got a lot deeper than I had anticipated :)

Thanks for reading...

On a lighter note; fun pics and a recap of summer thus far :) 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like a year of growth! Thanks for sharing all of the amazing things that have helped transform your parenting! I assume your old/home church is Sandals? If so, glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo!! An update! Glad you've been able to get settled in and more on the path you're striving for. You both did a good thing for a year and I commend you! Each and every single day is a gift...no matter how challenging that day is. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome, and you and Paul are building such a wonderful family together!

    ReplyDelete